[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Sun Apr 13 20:31:32 EDT 2014

Scott,

Real commercial work is going to cost you certification so be prepared
to really beef up your fabrication budget.  ROV's are the primary work
tool these days so you'll be competing primarily against them.  For
non-ROV work you'll be competing against Nuytco and others of that
caliber.  The amount of work you get will be determined by the value
your submarine offers for a particular job and the price point to
perform the work.  You'll need to honestly assess the capabilities of
your submarine against the competition to determine if you can compete
against them.

For an odd job, local, not-really-serious but would like to make a buck,
commercial work; just negotiate the best rate you can get when someone
needs your services.  Forget about certification and avoid work that
requires such rating.  You can follow the lead of work boats and barges
for pricing your services.  You likely want to charge a couple hundred
bucks just to hitch up and move the sub out of the driveway, some fee
for fuel and travel expenses, and some per hour fee for vessel and pilot
with something like a 3-4 hour minimum.

It's a great dream, I'd love to live it, but I think you're looking at
hundreds of thousands to get to the point where you have a steady
revenue stream that makes it financially feasible. Not impossible, but
difficult without lots of capital.

Jon