[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 16 17:47:46 EDT 2014

Hi Les,
I've been using this free design software for years. It doesn't do everything but
is good for rough calculation on basic shapes like cylinders, hemispheres, tubes.
It will show you the weight of your material, the displacement & crush depth.
Alan
Under Pressure Design Software | Deep Sea Power & Light

   Under Pressure Design Software | Deep Sea Power &...
Design Loop allows variation of single parameter Calculates both thin wall and thick wall collapse pressures Equations from Roark & Young’s f...
View on www.deepsea.com Preview by Yahoo

________________________________
 From: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Hello everybody ,anybody, Les here ,
Attatched myself to this email for convenience
(similar subject) been away from psubs for quite some time wanting to start
again.
Now it might sound dumb, but I tried to follow the
calc sheet for material and depth etc with ring stiffeners but ufortunately
had a few problems, perhaps a sample calc attached to it would assist me and
maybe others on how to use it correctly?
In between time I do need to get a rough indication
of the thickness of steel  and  approx size
of  ring stiffener size and quantity, to roughly calculate
the weight of what I wish to build, to see if what I want to do is
feasible or not...WEIGHT IS CRITICAL for my project
Can anyone help me please my reqirements are;
A Sphere 2 meters diameter
A Cylinder attached to that 1.2m diameter x 4meters
long
 ( I understand there will be a flaring
attatchment to the sphere, however at this point for the exercise, just to calc
the min weight that would be possible on these two items would be an indicator
for me andd give me a mental appreciation of my limitations )
The desired depth is 300m, ( 984ft )
( 452 psi ) or I could settle for 250 meters( 820ft ) ( 379 psi ) both
maximum dive depth not crush depth.
Sorry to be  pain but can any-one help me
Thank you
Les

P.S. In for a penny in for a pound, guess I will
make myself look completely dumb ....just as an indication, with
something like the above how would I calculate the
        volume
hence the size required for soft tanks for maximum submergance