[PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Personal Submersibles General Discussion personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 02:26:49 EDT 2014

Les,
in my calculations the dry weight of the sphere & the cylinder are
1056.3  kg + 1,324.4 kg = 2,380.7 kg.
The weight of the sphere & cylinder in water is -3378.9 liters + -3490.1 kg.
Which means that for these two items alone you are going to have to make your sub weigh
3378.9 kg + 3490.1 kg = 6869 kg to get it neutrally buoyant.
Alan

________________________________
 From: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K3000 spherical shell calculations

Hi Les (or Gidday)
The 2 meter inside diameter sphere made from 516 / 70 steel needs a crush depth of
561 meters to fit G.Ls perameters of the colapse dive pressure / nominal diving pressure
> 1.87.
At 10.8mm thick you get a crush depth of 559.75 M.
It will weigh 1056.3 kg & be -3378.9 kg water weight salt. (need a lot of lead)
A tube 1.2M ID & 4 meters long of same material at 11.3mm thick crushes at 561 meters,
weighs 1,324.4 kg with a -3490.1 kg water weight.
In my program I am showing no advantage in having stiffeners at this thickness & diameter.
Someone might want to confirm this but I ran this tube as a 500mm, a 1 meter & 2 meter
length & got the same crush depth for the diameter & thickness.
Cheers Alan