[PSUBS-MAILIST] YAHOO mail accounts

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 17 22:43:43 EDT 2014

I've updated the mailing list software and taken advantage of a new option that helps get past the problems that YAHOO accounts are experiencing without hiding the senders identification.  This should work in most cases but probably not all, in other words some messages to the list may be missing the senders ID in the "From:" header of the email.  So it will be important to continue signing our names at the bottom of the message.  The bigger problem for PSUBS users is that you won't receive the senders email address automatically or be able to reply to them privately unless you know already know it or they include it in a signature block at the bottom of their message.

This issue is caused by strict anti-spam policies at YAHOO which in fact break adopted email rules.  YAHOO account owners are likely to see similar problems on other mailing lists that they participate in.  The general feeling from the internet community, as best as I can determine, is essentially "screw yahoo, get an account on some other free service".  We'll need to see how this new mechanism works for us and if the group at large feels it presents enough of a problem we'll go back to the original configuration and ask YAHOO users to switch to some other service.  About 20% of our mailing list is comprised of YAHOO email addresses.

Jon
jonw at psubs.org