[PSUBS-MAILIST] Elco Motors

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Apr 22 16:58:48 EDT 2014

Hi Chris,  The problem is the BMS.  They draw off current to charge up and balance the other cells.  When you buy a battery of the cells such as a 12 volt assembly they have about between 4-8 of these BMS boards in them so they are a mess of wires under the cover.  IF they were hooked up to a solar cell charger they might be OK.  Also if you unhook the BMS inside then they should last longer but even doing this you get some cell failures.  You need to hook them up to a computer with a program you can download and then you can see what is happening at cell level.  There are a number of brands and there is a supplier in UK who has a MK 4 BMS version which he sells to the military with a high success rate.  It is a study in itself to get into the do’s and don’ts.  Leave the fancy stuff alone unless you have deep pockets and are a techo.  Thundersky do a simple one that is used by a lot of EV enthusiasts.  Here is an excerpt from a blog

I have a pack of Thundersky 160ah 40 pieces to give about 128v nominal.
The've got about 6300+ miles on them now in pretty harsh swedish environment. Last winter I did some close to 2C runs in -28degC and this winter I have run the car in -27degC. I run it every day.
I had one cell go busbar on me, but other then that they work fine.

They DO NOT LIKE the cold here, below freezing is not that fun.
I had a Endless BMS, but I run BMS free now. No LVC/HVC just pack voltage. I have probably overcharged them before I got the charger to work properly. And I can see big differences in Ri. Probably from overcharge. I did not have the cellog when I started using the pack.
Over all really happy.
Enough to plan a second pack for another car.
I never draw abowe 2C from the pack.

Regards,  Hugh