[PSUBS-MAILIST] Aluminum Welding Technique Question

Land N Sea via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Apr 26 00:10:50 EDT 2014

James,

There are several things that can make a good welder look bad when doing aluminum if they fail to do some basic things but once you have it, it’s real easy. As far as the ball on the end of the electrode, You can do it the way it shows on the video or I just slightly round the end on a bench grinder and it will work fine.  It will ball on pretty much anything. I was told you couldn’t use a sharp electrode like you would use for  welding stainless steel but that will work too and it will round it’s self out relatively quickly but it’s better to start out with a blunt one. Less chance of transferring any tungsten to the parent metal if it is a super critical weld.
When welding dissimilar thicknesses, if you can, put the thick one above the thin one, favor your heat on the thick one and let gravity do the work for you. If it is super thin you can put your heat on the filler rod and let it fuse in but that is a little tricky. It is also important to try and use the proper sized electrode. I usually use 1/8” but also have two smaller sizes for the thinner stuff. There are trimixes for your shielding gas that they claim will give you better penetration but they are pretty spendy and I have all ways used straight argon with great results.
Aluminum is a lot pickier than steel when it comes to contaminants. For good results, It is imperative that  you clean the aluminum before welding it. Even when I am building something with new aluminum from the mill, I all ways clean the edges where I am going to weld. Aluminum is porous and it may not look contaminated but it doesn’t take much. They make special grinding discs specifically for aluminum as well as stainless steel wire wheels and brushes and do not use them on steel or you will contaminate them. I’ve herd people say they have used some sort of solvent but I don’t feel that it gets as deep into the pours as actually grinding the top layer off.
I get people all the time that bring me stuff that has been out on the ocean and contaminated with salt air/water and it just won’t take a good weld unless you can physically remove the top layer to get to clean metal. If you were to leave a new piece of aluminum out doors for a while and then put a piece of aluminum next to it that has been cleaned with a grinding wheel and run a bead on both, you will not only see the difference when welding it but you will hear the difference as well. Should have a nice smooth hiss rather than a crackle. There are even things like wave signs that help with the cleaning action and penetration but I don’t think you can vary that on the cheaper machines and I believe they are factory set.  Hope this helps

Rick P.