[PSUBS-MAILIST] scuba reg problem

Ken Martindale via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 4 18:27:04 EDT 2014

Sean,

I had a Sherwood regulator and used it for about 8 months. It worked as you described but mine had a problem. The piston had a little path to leak a small amount of air into the equalizing chamber which was intended to keep any water out by virtue or the small rubber valve on the side of the regulator. The problem I had was that the rubber valve worked fine but the small leak path in the piston did not pass any air and thus no small bubbles. When diving to 150 feet the regulator thought it was at the surface and did not compensate for the depth and I felt I was sucking through a soda straw. Getting a new piston solved the problem but I never used the regulator at 150 feet again.

Bottom line check and make sure the little bubbles are flowing.

For what it’s worth,

Ken Martindale

From: Personal_Submersibles [mailto:personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org] On Behalf Of Sean T. Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 5:26 PM
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] scuba reg problem

The exception to this would be if the reg is a Sherwood. Sherwood first stages use a dry air bleed system which constantly vents a miniscule amount of gas, instead of allowing seawater into the balance chamber. While this works, it makes it difficult to distinguish the bleed from a problematic leak.

Sean