[PSUBS-MAILIST] submarine escape procedures

Tue Aug 5 13:56:48 EDT 2014

The problem with selecting a gas for submarine escape is that you are caught between conflicting requirements.  On air, narcosis which is significant enough to impair judgement or behaviour is a possibility even shallower than 100 fsw, and almost guaranteed below 150 fsw. Air reaches a PPO2 of 1.6 (the recommended maximum) at 218 fsw, so beyond that, you have to reduce oxygen and increase inerts. With helium, you think more clearly, but because it has a fast uptake, you incur decompression obligation faster than with nitrogen. Nitrogen gives you a better shot at avoiding bends, but impairs your judgement in an emergency situation when you might need it most. Ascent rate is an issue too, as ideally you would want to escape quickly to minimize your exposure time, and ascend rapidly from depth, but slow yourself as you approach the surface to allow an opportunity for any dissolved gas from depth to escape your body safely.

The bottom line is that drowning is unsurvivable. DCS in many cases can be treated, so it makes sense to get yourself to the surface as rapidly as possible.

If I were selecting a gas for escape purposes, I would mix for a maximum PPO2 of 1.6 at the maximum anticipated depth, because toxicity onsets rapidly and convulsions are debilitating, so you don't want to mess around with too much oxygen. I would also accept a higher nitrogen content than I might for diving, with the understanding that effecting the escape should be quick and get me to lesser pressures rapidly, and I would flare my body or otherwise attempt to slow the ascent somewhat as I approach the surface.

Also, I don't know how practical it would be for a small sub with limited internal space, but the Mustang SC2000 suits look like a sexy piece of kit to have.

Sean