[PSUBS-MAILIST] Aluminium O2 Cylinders

Tue Aug 26 11:07:21 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Ive got a 10 litre aluminium scuba tank fitted outside my sub that carries
100% O2.  The system has a scuba regulator 1st stage that drops the
pressure to ambient.  There is also an overpressure relief valve set to 14
bar.  The entire system is new and has been O2 cleaned.

I was led to believe by the shop I got it from that the aluminium cylinder
was fine for 100% O2 service.

However, doing a bit more research, im now not convinced the alu cylinder
is safe.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence, depending on
what you read.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice before I go and change the tank for a
10L steel O2 clean one?

Many thanks
James