[PSUBS-MAILIST] gyroscope/fluxgate compass

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Dec 7 14:14:37 EST 2014

I used a similar flux gate compass setup for the R300 as mentioned by Emile with similar results.  I use a Ocean Server OS5000. http://www.ocean-server.com/compass.html  I designed a 1-atm anodized aluminum (6061) housing that is externally mounted to the pressure hull behind the viewport.  Like Emile, I found that the steel hull affected the results by about 5-10  degrees but the unit has an "hard iron" calibration process to calibrate out the error.  I plan on using the same unit for the R500.  BTW, the sensor also gives the tilt, roll and temperature in addition to the heading.  For my application, I have the electrical connections coming through an electrical penetrator and then connect via an RS232 connection to my PLC.  In the PLC ladder logic, I have to parse an ASCII string to extract the four measurements.

Cliff