[PSUBS-MAILIST] props

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Dec 14 19:04:26 EST 2014

Hi Hank,I guess you would be getting the same thrust in both directions, butyou would be doubling the pitch of the propeller by doubling up, & there maybe a lot of turbulance between the propellers.There are propeller calculators that take a number of input variables like hp, revs, boat size,intended speed, diameter of the propeller & pitch. You leave one input out & it calculatesthat for you. You could call the two propellers one (add the two pitches together) & see what diameter it calculates for you at a given pitch & play around till you get the most efficientdiameter / pitch combination; then use the diameter but halve the pitch.I don't think I made a lot of sense, but if you go down that path I will explain a bit better.However given that submarines operate better with bigger diameter, lower pitch propellersit probably isn't a good idea going to two smaller higher pitched propellers.Alan