[PSUBS-MAILIST] model testing

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Dec 30 09:44:51 EST 2014

Hank, just to bring closure to this thread.  Stress on the boat due to depth scales geometrically between motel and prototype.  Drag scales based on Reynolds number.

As an example for stress, go to Psubs.org flat acrylic viewport calculator that Jon coded based on PVHO http://www.psubs.org/design/viewports/1ATMFD/

Put in a 500 ft depth and a 10" viewable diameter Di and record all results for the acrylic viewport.  Repeat with same depth but 1/10" the viewable diameter, i.e., 1" and record results.  Note that all dimension scale geometrically.  This is based on the assumption that the material is isotropic. These results would not be true for anisotropic materials like a carbon fiber layup were material properties are  directional dependent.  Additionally for carbon fiber, you would not be able to scale the scale the size of the fibers.

So if you are using an isotropic material such as steel, and can fabricate a dimensionally corrected scaled model of a component like a pressure hull including details like weld filler size, then crush depth observed in the motel test cell would match the full scale prototype.  Like any experiment, you would need multiple test to average the results.

Cliff

Cliff Redus
Redus Engineering
USA mobile:  830-931-1280