[PSUBS-MAILIST] Great White mods

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Sun Feb 9 13:04:09 EST 2014

The question is what's the resolution of that two inch screen and is it
good enough, and large enough, to see the details that you might want to
see in an H2O environment.  Water is going to cut down both visibility
and overall lux so the specs of the camera are important.  It also
depends upon whether you just want a visual reference for surface
obstruction issues or whether you want to keep filming during the dive
and record the results just in case you bump into a real mermaid and
want to have proof of her existence.

I've spent some time looking at this issue and found three reasonable
solutions.

1) GoPro, Bullet Pro, or similar sport recording device.  They are small
and take great images, and record to internal memory card. The bullet in
particular is easy to encase in a housing because of its shape.  The
problem is that you can't get a live feed off them (actually you can
from the bullet but the image sucks) and battery averages two hours
duration, so on a long dive you won't have a complete video.  Most of
the PC2013 underwater diving footage is from these type of cameras.

2) Webcam in waterproof housing.  The microsoft lifecam webcam is a
"bullet" type camera, 720HD, and easy to house in a 1-atm can. However,
it is USB and requires external storage if you want to record the video
feed which means carrying a laptop, netbook, or other device with enough
storage for that data.  If you use a device with an OS you can at least
start/stop recording when you like and therefore be more selective with
the recorded images. I've been successful connecting up to three webcams
into my netbook and viewing them all at the same time.  Benefit over the
sport device is that you get both live feed and recording capability.
They are cheap, averaging $79 (US) so if a housing fails and they go
kaput, no big deal.

3) HD Video Cam, traditional consumer grade video camera.  Most of the
newer models have internal recording and external feed so you can view
live plus record.  These models provide the best image but good ones are
also still relatively expensive ($800-1200 US) compared to sport cams
and web cams.  I haven't had the courage to risk losing my video cam to
water infiltration in a housing of my own fabrication.

Jon