[PSUBS-MAILIST] cold weather effect on ports

Sean T. Stevenson cast55 at telus.net
Mon Feb 10 14:48:27 EST 2014

One presumes that there could potentially be an issue with either thermal shock to the acrylic window, or with o-ring compliance when taking a sub at thermal equilibrium on a frigid deck (-30° C) and immersing it in seawater at ~0° C.  It takes some time for both acrylic and elastomers to warm up - they are poor conductors of heat.  Don't the o-rings stiffen in the cold?

Sean