[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air Muscle

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 05:31:13 EST 2014

Hi Psubbers,
was looking through a robotics book & came across an actuator called an "air muscle".
It's basically a balloon with attachments on either end that contracts  when pressurized with air.
Here is an instructable on how to make one.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-air-muscles!/?ALLSTEPS

They are a cheap alternative to a pneumatic cylinder & can generate more lifting force
in the 3&1/2 to 6 bar range.
As we all carry compressed air, I thought there may be some application that it could be
useful for, such as opening the ballast valves remotely or releasing emergency buoys etc.
They are used on robotic arms, so perhaps a manipulator could be, or has been made with them.
Anybody had any experience with them??? I also found them under fluidic muscle.