[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air Muscle

hank pronk hanker_20032000 at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 23 08:42:04 EST 2014

Alan,
I also just had a look on youtube,  that is pretty cool.  I see they took the bounce out by encasing the bag in a stretchy sock.
Hank

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:26:16 AM, hank pronk <hanker_20032000 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

Alan,
I could not find the air muscle area in the site.  I assume it is the same idea as an air bag in truck suspension.  There are two problems with using air bags in underwater service.  You could only use the bag at one depth at a time because the air would expand or compress at different depths.  You could deflate the bag then change depth and start over.  In an arm application the bag would be erratic to operate, it would have a bounce to it.  Mind you the deeper you went the less bounce because there would be more resistance.  The bag system would be good for leak resistance, but what do you do with the return air.  You would have to dump it overboard.  I did look at air powering an arm, both direct air to cylinder and air over hydraulic.  My uneducated conclusion was, to complicated and not much duration.  My log salvage rov had an air powered grapple.  We did that for speed and environmental issues.  We had a constant air supply to the rov
 though.
Hank