[PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulators

hank pronk hanker_20032000 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 27 10:55:31 EST 2014

Joe,
I think the saying goes, Invention is the mother of necessity.  You would be amazed at what you can do when your dispirit.  Once I needed a 12v dc power source on my log salvage rov.  I had 120v ac going down already.  Remember I was BROKE so I bought a new battery charger at Canadian Tire with a boost feature.  I took it home and had no time to get fancy because I had to produce logs the next day.  I took the battery charger apart and stuffed all the components in a plastic Tupperware container (wife pissed at me) then drilled holes to let wires in and out.  I drove out to the rov (5hrs) strapped the assembly to the side of the rov hooked up the wires and had 12v.  The power supply was not sealed in any way.  I figured it would work and it did for at least a year.  I never took the machine out of the water and that is what saved it.  When I finished logging I tried to put the charger back together but it went up in smoke. lol.
Hank

On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:17:47 AM, Michael Holt <mholt at ohiohills.com> wrote:

On 1/27/2014 8:33 AM, hank pronk wrote:

Scott,
>You can also pick up an old power seat from a car.  The seat has three or four motors in one housing that drives cables or little drive shafts.  Also you can use the linier actuators and slides.  that is how I made my first arm  a life time ago.

American Science & Surplus (sciplus.com) has those motors -- and lots of similar toys -- available.  I've bought lots of good stuff like that.

Mike