[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thru Hull

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jul 11 21:07:30 EDT 2014

Brian,

According to steel vessel rules Part 4, Chapter 4,
1) assuming an 8 inch or larger diameter cylinder
2) any opening 2 inches or less in diameter does not require reinforcement

So for a 1/2 inch diameter valve you can cut a hole in the pressure
shell and weld the valve in directly.  If you want to put the valve
through the stainless round stock for some reason, the thickness of the
stainless doesn't matter as long as it is at least equal to the
thickness of the hull.

Jon