[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kota 101 - thread spec

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 21 05:56:05 EDT 2014

Hi James,
I could generate some robust discussion here, but I don't think the wrap around tube is a very good idea.
If you look at professional oil compensation units, they are set at about 4-5psi above ambient pressure &
have reservoirs to compensate for oil loss & for oil expansion as it heats up.
From past posts, Emile & Carsten had all soughts of trouble with oil compensating & Emile changed to
rim thrusters. I have read a previous post where someone quotes a guy with years of experience modifying minnkota
motors for underwater use, as saying that 3 out of 4 can operate down to 100ft without any compensation. I think this may be part
of the reason the wrap around tube seems to work. Still, if water gets in there will be some protection from the oil.
Cheers Alan