[PSUBS-MAILIST] launch rollers

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 22 08:08:24 EDT 2014

Hi James,
I am worried about your set up with the rollers.  If I understand it, you will have a horizontal trailer deck with ramps on an angle to the ground.  With that many rollers it will be dangerous to transition from the horizontal deck to the angled ramps.  When the sub rolls back, eventually it will be at the balance point and tilt to match the ramp angle.  At the point the sub will be on only two rollers.  If the two rollers happen to be at the transition point where the deck meets the ramps, the sub will turn violently and I mean violently.  It could be dangerous.  There are a few solutions, you can make a tilting track with C channel that tilts with the sub so all the wheels are in contact all the time.  Another solution is to use only four wheels, or best of all a tilt deck trailer.  I went with four large wheels on my cart for these reasons. With four wheels the sub is never at a tipping point.
Hank