[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air compensating thrusters

Private via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jul 26 22:43:34 EDT 2014

Alan, honestly you're over-analyzing this one. I would summarize it thus; air and oil compensation both work just fine, pick either one.

I've run Snoopy with both air and oil compensation, using the same motors. I could not tell the difference, either in power or even in sound. I do agree the motors must in theory lose some efficiency with oil, but it was not in the least noticeable to me.

Personally I prefer oil because the system has no moving parts and therefore in my book is simpler and more reliable, but again... both work just fine.

As for all the stuff about dissolving plastics and brushes, I finally overhauled the thrusters last year for the first time. All I had to do was change the seals and brushes, and I  turned the commutator on the lathe because the copper had some wear. These parts had lasted a decade.

Best,

Alec