[PSUBS-MAILIST] Air compensating thrusters

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jul 27 09:44:01 EDT 2014

Alan,

Everyone is correct...about their own experience.  This is a Ford vs
Chevy debate with neither system being a perfect solution. Primary use
is likely going to dictate the best path to take, air comp if you can't
sacrifice power reduction or risk brush issues in commercial operations,
oil comp for simplicity in recreational operations.

Alec's experience is a pretty good story for recreational diving. A 10
year life prorates to a cost of only $25/year for each MK101 and from a
performance perspective he can't tell the difference between air/oil
comp on a small minn-kota.  JimK's 7-ton Bionic Guppy gets muscled
around easily with three oil comp'd MK 101's so they obviously have
plenty of power even if its less than it would be with air comp.  That's
enough evidence for me...no regulators, no extra gas to carry, no extra
plumbing, no overpressure valves and no worries about maintenance or
failure on all those small air compensated components.  At $255 for a
MK101 lower unit, I'll just create a replace-one-motor-a-year budget.
No need to open the can, replace brushes, turn the armature; just
replace it with a new one and I'll never have one motor that is more
than four years old.

So you probably just want to toss a coin and pick a method.  Maybe start
with air comp first on a new build because if you don't like it then
converting to oil comp will potentially be easier than vice-versa.

Jon