[PSUBS-MAILIST] MK-101 Connectors

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jul 30 08:31:10 EDT 2014

A male connector threaded directly into the housing shaft stub is going
to suffer the same potential of broken pins depending upon handling.
One clumsy move and you may have an unusable motor in the field so you'd
have to carry some spare male connectors just in case.  Additionally,
unless you have a configuration in which you can slide the motor into
it's mounting and at the same time mate the male (motor) and female
(hull) connectors you're going to end up with a pigtail or cable of some
sort to make the electrical connection from motor to hull.  So I think
you'd be better off with a female connector on the motor and a cable
with two male connectors to make the electrical connection if a cable is
required to make the electrical connection.

If SubConn could produce a two pin high power connector you could save
penetrations by using a 4 pin female on the hull to feed two motors.
This would require a custom cable but the K600 used a similar
configuration for the original lights.

When we did our last minn-kota order the saltwater versions were the
same price as the fresh water versions so there was no incentive to go
with fresh even though they would work just as well.

Jon