[PSUBS-MAILIST] Surface controlled drones

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 2 17:40:16 EDT 2014

Water attenuates radio signals and microwaves would still be too long to penetrate any reasonable amount of depth.

On Monday, June 2, 2014 5:28 PM, Nathan.tuttle via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

Hey I am a submersible enthusiast and an expert engineer.

One thing that is bugging me is why communication with devices at great depths (the very bottom of the ocean) seems to be so hard.

The thing I am working on is miniature drones fully equipped and deployed en masse to scan and collect data from the bottom of the ocean.

Primarily, I want to find Amelia Earharts wreckage ;)

My question is, would it be difficult to create an underwater device that can communicate via microwave to surface?

Microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum can pass through things in a line of sight manner if there is nothing obstructing them.

But I am weak on my physics and maybe the several billion tons of water that it has to pass through would squelch the signal.

Is there a means of telecommunication with high enough bandwidth to transfer signals from that distance and that depth?

Although our earth is covered 70% of water. I think we have seen technology come to the point where a mass deployment of small controllable drones equipped with detection devices could search the sea floor.

I would great appreciate your input.