[PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater Com

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 2 20:17:37 EDT 2014

Sean,
That's the best summary on the subject I've ever heard in a short amount of
 space.
Thanks,
Jim T.

In a message dated 6/2/2014 6:39:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
personal_submersibles at psubs.org writes:

Most through-water communication devices employ acoustic  transmission
instead of electromagnetic, with the exception of some extremely  low-frequency
systems. The reason is that seawater, being conductive, acts  like a massive
Faraday cage surrounding the transmitter. Electromagnetic  attenuation
through seawater is significant, and gets worse with increased  frequency.
Microwaves are wholly unsuitable. Extremely low frequency radio  waves have been
used with some success, but due to the low frequency, are  limited to low
data rates insufficient for encoding real-time voice comms.  Human hearing
covers from about 20 Hz to 20 kHz, so to encode the audible  spectrum you need
a bandwidth of twice that. This is why CDs are sampled at  44.1 kHz. Now,
intelligible voice comms don't require the whole spectrum - you  can get away
with just a few kHz to encode the typical frequencies in a human  voice, but
even that is too much data for real-time communicat! ion at  frequencies
which will not be attenuated so much by the seawater as to make  them useless.
Think text messages that are so slow that you can see each  character
arriving individually - that's about what you can hope for with  underwater radio
that still has some useful range.  Of course, this is  dependent on your
requirements. More available transmission power, or less  required range, and
you may be okay, but it is hardly efficient.
In contrast to radio waves, acoustic signals are not as easily  attenuated
in water, and as such are frequently used for communication,  navigation and
imaging. (I.e. why we use sonar underwater instead of  radar).  Voice comms
can be frequency shifted to frequencies outside of  human hearing,
transmitted as an ultrasonic sound wave through the water, and  frequency shifted
again on the receive side to make real-time voice comms  feasible. What's
more, with acoustic signals, increased salinity actually  helps rather than
hinders, as the greater the density of the water, the less  the attenuation with
distance.
Sean

On June 2, 2014 3:27:20 PM MDT, "Nathan.tuttle via  Personal_Submersibles"