[PSUBS-MAILIST] Old submarine

Michael Holt via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 6 12:38:31 EDT 2014

On 6/6/2014 11:53 AM, via Personal_Submersibles wrote:
> David,
> I think it must be, but I can't be absolutely sure.  It's hard to
> imagine that anyone made another one like Doug's version.  It really
> ought to be in a museum or inside a seafood restaurant looking as it
> did when Doug built it.

When Doug was trying to get rid of it, he let me call some museums. I'm
in Virginia, so I started here.  I have the Marine Resources Commission,
the Science Museum of Virginia, and the Mariners' Museum.  The Science
Museum has /Aluminaut/, and in that display they have a photo Richard
Reynolds and Simon Lake together as they examine a model of
/Aluminaut./  The museum in Paterson NJ, holding John Holland's work,
refused it, as did the Carnagie Science Museum in Pittsburgh (which has
the Guppy sub /Requin/ on display).  All of them refused to pay for
shipping the boat, even when they were made aware that the boat itself
would cost nothing.

Museum officials never like to spend money.  It was obvious to me that
the "directors" with whom I spoke lack the authority to make any
significant decisions, but the worst part was that they lacked the
curiosity to ask questions.

---