[PSUBS-MAILIST] Old submarine

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 6 18:59:38 EDT 2014

It's all Katy's fault. Hahaha.
-Scott

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© Smartphonevia Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:Greg and Michael, thanks for the info and definitive answers.
Scott, see what you stirred up with an innocent question about  looking for a sub project!
-Jim

In a message dated 6/6/2014 11:39:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time, personal_submersibles at psubs.org writes:
On 6/6/2014 11:53 AM, via Personal_Submersibles wrote:
David,
I think it must be, but I can't be absolutely sure.  It's hard to imagine that anyone made another one like Doug's      version. It really ought to be in a museum or inside a seafood restaurant looking as it did when Doug built it.

When Doug was trying to get rid of it, he let me call some museums.  I'm in Virginia, so I started here.  I have the Marine Resources Commission, the Science Museum of Virginia, and the Mariners' Museum.  The Science Museum has Aluminaut, and in that display they have a photo Richard Reynolds and Simon Lake together as they examine a model of Aluminaut.  The museum in Paterson NJ, holding John Holland's work, refused it, as did the Carnagie Science Museum in Pittsburgh (which has the Guppy sub Requin on display).  All of them refused to pay for shipping the boat, even when they were made aware that the boat itself would cost nothing.

Museum officials never like to spend money.  It was obvious to me that the "directors" with whom I spoke lack the authority to make any significant decisions, but the worst part was that they lacked the curiosity to ask questions.