[PSUBS-MAILIST] Question

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 7 19:25:52 EDT 2014

Thanks Steve,
I appriciate the data.
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© SmartphoneSteve McQueen via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:Scott, I can be a data point.  Hope it helps.

In 2012 I paid $15,000.00 for Mark Ragan's K-250.  She was built in 1987 by Mark and co. She was operational to about 50 feet when I bought her. She was used for shallow water (< 50 feet) as a pilot training sub.  Her max. depth was only 60 feet. She was used to look for the Hunley.

I immediately tore her apart for inspection. Found significant rust issues in the bilge and ended up spending/bartering approx. $5,000 worth of  repair & penetration upgrades. It came with a decent custom trailer, an extra hard hatch (with a top view port). It came with extras like CB radios, a scuba tank,  extra lead weights, an O2 tank, a floating antenna.  The thruster's are older Motorguide trolling motors but seem to work well.

I would say to date I have invested $25,000 to make this K-250 hull capable of 250 feet. This investment also includes upgrades to the trailer.

I am happy with my investment. I believe I will have a nice K-250 for approx. $32,000 when done.

Steve