[PSUBS-MAILIST] Katy's new sub

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 14 00:54:23 EDT 2014

Alec,
I will just keep looking and see if I can find anything. If anyone has any leads with a way to make a sub that goes deep, let me know.
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© SmartphoneAlec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:Scott, I investigated building with HY-80 many years ago. I found that all you could readily get was plate. If I wanted something as simple as a pipe, I could not get it in HY-80. Nobody carried stock of anything in HY-80 so every last hull component would have become a custom job and driven up the cost tremendously.  A similar thing happened to me when I went looking for a 31" hemispherical endcap. It turned out 31" was a non-standard diameter for hemisphericals, but stock (if rare) for ellipticals, so the response I got was this... "If you want a 31" elliptical that's $300, but if you want it hemispherical that costs the same $300 plus $4000 in setup time". It gives you some idea how much less expensive it is if you manage to stay within the boundaries of things considered "standard". I hate to burst your HY-80 bubble, but that at any rate was the situation at the time.

I have an ancient book from the boilermaking trade, that lists all the standard sizes for things like pipe and heads along with their properties. Its called the "Pressure Vessel Handbook" and is really useful for finding out what's "standard".

Best,

Alec