[PSUBS-MAILIST] Rolled steel

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jun 19 09:11:59 EDT 2014

Thanks Jon
-Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© SmartphoneJon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
Scott, it sounds like you have plenty of time.  I would suggest       that you study ABS documents and also become very familiar with the online tools we have at PSUBS.ORG.  Self-education in design is going to carry you a long way to understanding the capabilities of your vessel and give you confidence in the various designs you might want to pursue.  You don't have to understand it to the point of getting an engineering degree, just enough to answer most of your own questions.  Cliff is a P.E. and has "gifted" us with a tremendously valuable tool in the design spreadsheet which encapsulates ABS requirements and brings reasonable vessel design to everyone's fingertips.  It just takes some tenacity to get through the material and understand it.  There are numerous people on the list that can help you with any related questions.

Even if you had millions of dollars in your submarine budget and could hire a staff of designers I would still make the same recommendation.  It's not about money, it's about the value of knowing the "nuts and bolts" about the performance limitations of your vessel.

Jon