[PSUBS-MAILIST] venting batteries

JimToddPsub at aol.com JimToddPsub at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 18:01:29 EDT 2014

Hank,

Some types of lithium ion batteries presently available might  be just as
economical as AGMs, etc. when you consider the number of recharging  cycles -
cost twice as much, but last more than twice as long.  Several  subs are
presently operating with them.

Here's as good a place as any to start if you want to  investigate those
options.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
I've pasted a key paragraph below.  When I last looked  into it I was most
in favor of LFP.

Chemistry, performance, cost and safety characteristics vary across LIB
types. Handheld electronics mostly use LIBs based on _lithium cobalt  oxide_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_cobalt_oxide)  (LiCoO
2),  which offers high energy density, but presents safety risks,
especially when  damaged. _Lithium iron  phosphate_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate)  (LFP), _lithium manganese  oxide_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-manganese_battery)  (LMO) and lithium nickel manganese
cobalt oxide (NMC) offer lower  energy density, but longer lives and inherent
safety. Such batteries are widely  used for electric tools, medical equipment
and other roles. NMC in particular is  a leading contender for automotive
applications. Lithium nickel cobalt aluminum  oxide (NCA) and _lithium
titanate_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_titanate)  (LTO)  are specialty
designs aimed at particular niche roles.

Jim

In a message dated 3/11/2014 4:39:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,