[PSUBS-MAILIST] Terminating a conical transition

Fri May 2 21:47:49 EDT 2014

Each cone section in that case is considered alone, so if you were using stiffeners, you would need a heavy stiffener at every joint. Depending on the size, it may be simpler to use unstiffened geometry for such an assembly.

The rules do not address bolting pressure hull sections together, but I don't see why you couldn't, provided you meet the requirements in terms of the stress analysis under the maximum combined loading conditions, which are prescribed in the ABS rules. Might require some FEA to be sure. You're thinking an O-ring groove seal? Or other arrangement?  I think an ASME code compliant flange would be a good place to start, but I would make sure that the cross-sectional area of each half of the flange considered individually met the requirements of a heavy stiffener per ABS, at a minimum material location (bolt hole). I would also be inclined to use SuperBolts for the connection.

http://www.nord-lock.com/superbolt/multi-jackbolt-tensioners/

Sean