[PSUBS-MAILIST] Terminating a conical transition

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 4 08:32:47 EDT 2014

Joe,

Consider using an elliptical head back there, for starters. You aren't building for much depth here, so the K-350 size will be fine (.375" ish). The ellipses are cheaper, do the same job, and give you a touch more inside room. Then I would have a cone rolled with a short flange on the major diameter, maybe a couple of inches, to match the hull OD.

The Nekton cone-to-dome caused a pinch point that was always a hassle to clean and paint, and ultimately left some pitting in the pressure hull that had to be weld-repaired. A short cylinder on the sheet metal would give you a little more room under there to sandblast and paint during assembly and later for overhauls. I would say for maintenance a couple of flush-mount, gasketed panels in the tank would serve you well. Don't make them too ornery to remove or you won't do it as often as you will wish you had.

I'm wondering now about my own boat and using tanks like that. Is there anyone in the group who can plug and chug a metacentric height on Nekton tanks installed on a K-350? Assembly would be so simple that way. And it would tow better, which is always a good thing. The Nektons roll a bit, but are reasonably stable. A K with the pods should have plenty of weight down low. Hmm. Would it work? I'm thinking yes. Anybody else have an opinion on that?

Vance