[PSUBS-MAILIST] Terminating a conical transition

Joe Perkel via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 4 15:07:16 EDT 2014

I've incorporated some of the suggestions in the attached drawing. Still, I've got a lot to think about here but I am also excited about the possibilities and the potential outcome. This image should give some idea of what's on my mind. What you see is the water ballast arrangement on the original Seehund, and how my proposed pressure boundary fits into this scaled down version. The following is a list of concerns and or design considerations.

1) Clearly, I have no need to compensate for the loss of torpedoes

2) New pressure boundary provides for massive MBT volumes (Low pressure compressor to blow down volumes)

3) Torpedo battery pods may need to incorporate some free flooding spaces to reduce weight, or perhaps reduce battery capacity to a single pod in lieu of the former forward water ballast tank, then completely free flood both torpedoes completely??. (Boat will incorporate a gen-set)

4) Questionable reliability of external motor pod assembly.

5) Stability considerations

Thanks for the input gents, It really helps me to take a step back on occasion!

Joe