[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial question

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon May 19 15:03:08 EDT 2014

One of the true joys (I suspect) of owning a pair of Deepworkers would be the certain knowledge that another pilot could be on his or her own way in about ten minutes from a standing start if necessary. I consider the DWs a sort of Swiss Army Knife as built by Rolex, which means that they are beautifully made, imminently useful, and can be hammered like an old anvil if necessary. The Perry's and Pisces were kind of like that, too, only bigger. And it would be hard to imagine something we couldn't do or manage with one of those.

I've come to the rescue once and had someone return the favor another time. We backed each other up, basically. ROVs of the day were underpowered, frustratingly delicate, and generally unwieldy. We didn't trust them, and for good reason. Better to have what the US Navy calls the Mk I Human Eyeball on site. I still believe that, mind you.

That said, there is/was a thing called subsmash which comes from the gov't, but extended to civilian vehicles. When they dive, you as another operator would know about it and be on a list for alerts in case of emergency. I believe Nuytco did that for HURL at one time. Back in the day, all the major contractors had a handshake agreement about potential problems. No matter who it was, if somebody needed help, everybody came running, no questions asked.

These days? Hm. If I win the lottery, it would be a pair of DWs maybe, or a pair of acrylic boats. Worst case, one or the other of those with a tailored ROV to provide support for emergencies.

Vance