[PSUBS-MAILIST] bow window

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Nov 2 14:02:34 EST 2014

One of my goals with the R500 was to cut cost and a big cost is the viewports. The upper portion of the pressure hull that has the viewports is 36" x 0.25 A516-70 pressure vessel steel. The design depth is 500 ft.   I like the optics of flat viewports so I have one 24" diameter x 4" thick acrylic viewport and three smaller 12" viewports.     I ran the calcs using the PVHO flat viewport calculator that Jon Wallace implemented at the PSubs site.  I have access to abrasive water jet so I was thinking of jetting these out of off the shelf acrylic and then having a machine shop dress the edges and cut the chamfers. I would need to get the viewports annealed after final machining. I am hoping I can talk Gregg Cotrell into doing this for me as he is Dr. Acrylic. PVHO has detailed info on what the viewport housing seat needs to look like.

So to me, I don't see any reason Vance you could not use large flat viewport on the bow.  You just have to do the PVHO calcs on the thickness and housing dimensions for your design depth.  You would need to design the housing to smoothly transition the stresses to the forward head and run an FEA to confirm stresses in the viewport and housing.  I don't know what size you were thinking about or the design depth but it would need be thick.

Cliff