[PSUBS-MAILIST] fiberglass as hull material

Clifford Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Nov 21 20:22:34 EST 2014

I concur 100% with Sean on this.  Even as a practicing mechanical engineer, it would take me weeks to do a stress analysis on the hull.  The only safe way to determine the strength of the hull is a destructive test where you take it failure.  After you complete the test, you lay up a second hull.  If you lay up the mat in a different orientation, the strength of the hull would be different.  This is why most builders use steel that has a very predictable and linear stress strain relationship.

Cliff

Sent from my iPad