[PSUBS-MAILIST] q ball arm

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Nov 27 13:27:51 EST 2014

Brilliant discovery Hank,
I wonder if the ball being slightly smaller, may leak at shallow depths but then seal with
pressure behind it.
Some time ago I suggested using a valve & looked at items such as this
http://www.stoneleigh-eng.com/duplex_ball_valve.html
that could be pulled apart easily & were thin sectioned to enable greater angle of movement.
My idea at the time was to use the existing ball but turn it, & drill out it's stem hole to fit the cue. But this would be great if the cue ball fits. There are a myriad of valves out there. If you found one that could be easily attached to the hull & just bolted together with the machined cue ball
in it, that would make it easier to emulate.
Have a look at this Wiki article. Pool balls / billiard balls differ in size & you may find a match
up between a ball & a valve.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billiard_ball