[PSUBS-MAILIST] viewport questions

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Oct 28 15:48:55 EDT 2014

Alec,

I hope this is still you.

I've been talking to Greg about a major retro-fit on my K-350--a full hull-diameter dome segment viewport in place of the forward elliptical head. He mentioned having built yours (the 1000' version) while we were talking about thickness and whether to try and use something out of Pete's junk pile.

While we were chewing the fat about this, he said that to the best of his recollection, yours started at 1.5" thickness, and that he could build it for me (maybe a 150 degree arc segment) for what I thought was a very reasonable amount.

My problem (okay, one of my problems) is that I don't really know how to do the calculations for these things. That said, I'm wondering if a partial copy of yours might not do the trick for my application (it would be tested much shallower, 500 feet or thereabouts).

I don't know how you feel about sharing that kind of thing, but I have a picture in my head of an acrylic bow K-350 with some fairings and a Minn-Kota driven Deepworker style propulsion system. I think it would make a great little boat, and so if I can get the viewport and frame designed, then it's going to be built.

It's time to play if I'm going to. So, what do you think?

Best Regards,
Vance Bradley