[PSUBS-MAILIST] Brushless Thrusters

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 7 07:58:56 EDT 2014

Hi people,
I've spent several hours today looking at brushless thrusters & wonder if anyone else has looked at them or got any ideas. There is the Indonesian thruster I posted a few weeks back at US 2,200. There is also the Haswing Protruar 2hp that Emile has; however they state that it's for fresh water only, & I think Emile said it was a bit noisy.
The inrunner motors that have the winding on the outside, seem a good option as they cool through convection to the can. They also need higher revs for torque & require a planetary gear box or similar. ( which a lot have built in)
   I was looking at the option of making my own thruster, however the motor would require a thrust bearing & I don't
know of any that would have one other than maybe a high powered battery operated drill.
Any thoughts, suggestions thanks.