[PSUBS-MAILIST] Brushless Thrusters

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 9 00:35:41 EDT 2014

Update,
Am still Googling away in pursuit of a home made brushless thruster.
I am set on using an in-runner motor as they have the coils on the outside & will be able
to transfer heat through the can.
The problem with in-runners is they have higher revs than out-runners, however either will
require a planetary gearbox. I am looking at reducing the revs down to below 3000 rpm.
This is based on other brushless thrusters I have looked at but might not be right ( any recommendations)?
Another problem is that most seem to draw huge amps.
Here is a 1200W motor for $30-. Of course there is the price of the controller & planetary gear that are needed.
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=17720&type=&idparentcat=364
Most of the suitable motors seem to be found at places like Hobby King, and are used on RC trucks, or found on E bike sights. The aircraft motors aren't as robust.
These motors are tiny, but hugely powerful, so there is the potential to make a small streamlined
powerful unit.
I haven't had much luck with a matching gearbox. Some of the planetary gearboxes recommend
oiling (no good to me unless I oil compensate) while others don't. I am looking for a cylindrical unit to match my motor, preferably with thrust bearings.
If anyones got any advice or experience in this realm I'd be pleased to hear it.
Regards Alan

Sent from my iPad