[PSUBS-MAILIST] Brushless Thrusters

Wed Sep 10 12:03:01 EDT 2014

Only that higher voltages present more risk, particularly in DC systems, so you need to take particular care to keep everything protected from stray hands, tools and debris. A high voltage DC short will wake you up in a hurry. Isolation is a must (no hull connection to battery negative).

 Also, when you add cells in series to raise the DC voltage of your battery bank, you don't also increase capacity, only voltage. Only cells (or banks) in parallel will add Amp hours, so you're looking at lots of batteries for a high voltage system.

IIRC, ABS will consider systems to 600 V. You need 690 VDC if you want to run true industrial motors (440V) via VFD, but if you can source lower voltage AC motors, there's no reason you couldn't do this, if it was cost effective for you. A 48V AC motor would need 68 VDC to the VFD bus.

Sean