[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster Horse Power

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Sep 18 21:42:05 EDT 2014

Thanks Vance,
I'm working through the brushless thruster options.
7 out of 8 thruster manufacturers I've looked at use brushless motors.
At least 1/2 either have, or give you the option of oil compensation.
This could be for cooling as much as for deeper depth operation.
I am working on 750 Watts = 1 hp. The bollard thrust figures seem to
vary quite a bit in relation to the Watt ratings of the different motors / manufacturers.
Nuytco has the best bollard thrust per watt at 70 lb. thrust for the 750W model
but as the Watts go up, the thrust goes down ie 1,500W model has 110 lb. which
is only slightly better than the Minn kotta 101.
All a bit confusing.