[PSUBS-MAILIST] thruster sizing etc

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 28 08:46:38 EDT 2014

Hi Alan,

Standard operation is to lock the side thrusters horizontally when on the
surface and vertically when diving. On the surface they're very useful for
things like maneuvering around a dock or getting on or off the trailer.
They provide zero-radius turning, which a single stern thruster never can.
The ramp down, ramp up when switching from forward to reverse or vice-versa
is a feature that is built into the speed controllers to prevent arcing on
the motor commutator. From the driver's perspective, you can just slam the
motors from full power in one direction to full power in the opposite
direction, and nothing will happen to the motors if your speed controller
has that functionality. The transition despite being smooth is really
quick, maybe just a couple of seconds.

I dive Snoopy slightly positive because that way the wash from the props is
directed upwards and doesn't muck up visibility. I found it a real
disadvantage of the original design that the side thrusters tied up your
hands if you are holding them all the time, hence the indexing plates to
lock them in position. My new sub, however, uses four fixed thrusters. That
arrangement gives you more degrees of freedom and has no moving parts.

Cheers,

Alec

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 5:40 AM, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <