[PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-kota cabling to hull

Emile van Essen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 22 14:02:08 EDT 2015

Jon,

Can be about the same construction. The cable sheat is indeed a issue. I
sealed that with RTV. Not on drawing. Can be also done with a low pressure
cable gland.
15 Bar for the Blueglobe is conservative or a high safety factor. They fail
single at 80 Bar and back to back  (in penplate) at 140 Bar. Failure mode is
sliding inwards so even no leak then,

Emile

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Personal_Submersibles [mailto:personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org]
Namens Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles
Verzonden: woensdag 22 april 2015 18:49
Aan: Personal Submersibles General Discussion
Onderwerp: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-kota cabling to hull

Emile,

I like the idea of pressing brass rods into the delrin to avoid epoxy
but in my case I am not using motors with a thrust tube. I've got fixed
motors using a  thru-hull (see attachment) that requires a
penetrator-type cable.  I'd have to either have a head on the delrin on
the high pressure side or perhaps threaded on both ends to "bolt" it in
position.  But the bigger issue would still be sealing the cable sheath
which would either require epoxy or the blueglobe gland.  The blueglobe
doesn't sound like it stops creeping of the cable due to external
pressure though and would require taking Alan's approach of epoxying the
cable in a tube with a head, then passing that tube through the
blueglobe to prevent pressure creep of the cable into the cabin.

It would be nice to get away from epoxy completely but I'm not sure it's
possible in my kind of configuration.  By the way, blueglobe
documentation states a maximum pressure of 15 bar.  Do you believe this
is conservative based upon your own testing?

Jon