[PSUBS-MAILIST] Zinc coating

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 30 23:09:07 EDT 2015

Don't know the answer to this one.  The sandblaster I talked to swore a
zinc thermal spraying protects steel better than anything else because
it acts as a sacrificial anode.  But from what I can find out from other
sources the zinc coating still needs to be covered by paint because
sometimes it does not adhere permanently and it can chip.  So I have the
option to have the hull zinc galvanized by thermal spraying but I don't
know if it's worth the money.

The sandblaster/painter I talked to said the coating goes on one side
only, presumably the outside because it would be way too difficult to
get the thermal sprayer into a small sub to effectively coat the inside.

Jon