[PSUBS-MAILIST] Viewports - steel or stainless

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 6 07:53:46 EDT 2015

Andre,
One more thing. As an old shop rat, I will tell you that the biggest enemy of a good paint job is the sharp edge. Paint will necessarily thin there and on the rough spots and you will get rust pretty quickly. Take your time during fabrication. Break all the edges, including the bolt holes. Make sure there is no serious porosity on any weld surfaces. Then sandblast to white metal, clean, clean, clean the surface, and use a good multi-coat paint treatment. These days, probably not vinyl, like we used. But a good zinc undercoat, then high build epoxy topped with polyurethane will make a very tough and long lasting surface.
Vance