[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw:

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Aug 19 15:28:34 EDT 2015

Today I continued testing my welds and did a typical coupon test.  This is .375 thick material welded with a mig welder in two passes.  I preheated the steel to 300 degrees, then let it cool to 300 degrees F for the second pass.  The bend test was a complete success.  I also welded three .75 in thick plates together into a big C shape so that a 20 ton jack would fit inside.  I welded a strong back on to prevent bending.  I welded with the same procedure but three  fillet passes on each side.  I tried to break it with the 20 ton jack and maxed the jack out and no breaks or cracks.   It seems to me, if you preheat your metal then mig welding works fine.  I will try to find the ASME rule for preheating temperature of the first and second pass before I do any welding on my sphere.Hankby the way, I did this coupon test after a root canal this morning. :-)