[PSUBS-MAILIST] (no subject)

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 27 19:15:52 EDT 2015

Just two cents on this. I've actually changed my MO over time. Initially I
liked diving heavy. It was an effortless way to descend, and I would get
neutral with the VBT once at depth. If slightly heavy then you can use the
thrusters to hover, but they will be pointing down and that ruins the
visibility. I used to surface on air.

These days, I just weigh myself and passenger and I have a little table on
my clipboard telling me how many buoys to load. Once you've figured the
payload of the sub once, the method nails the buoyancy every time, and I
mean to within 5 lbs or so. I both dive and surface on thrusters, although
it is true I have to blow a little bubble in the MBTs on deep dives due to
hull compression. I find thruster dives make for better control and use way
less air. Thruster movement has less "momentum" than buoyancy driven
motion, meaning that you can shut off the propulsive power instantly
whereas, if your propulsion is coming from a tankload of air, it takes
longer to vent or flood the tanks. Its also handy that the sub just hovers
if you stop paying attention for any reason.

Best,

Alec

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <