[PSUBS-MAILIST] (no subject)

Fri Aug 28 10:32:29 EDT 2015

Unless the transducer data sheet specifically indicated a "noise" or "drift" tolerance, it is more likely that the accuracy spec refers to nonlinearity or repeatability, so that there will be some absolute accuracy error from the true pressure, and this error may change with pressure cycling, but I wouldn't expect it to drift wildly at steady-state. Provided you calibrate your transducer against a calibration standard with some regularity, often any given transducer will outperform its rated specs, which are supposed to be worst-case scenarios. In this particular application, since we are really after altitude control and not the specific absolute depth, +/- 6 fsw on absolute accuracy may be fine if it is sufficiently stable at steady state.

Sean